The St Mary's Pacing Club (StMPC) on Tasmania's East Coast hosts only one meeting a year and usually held on the last day of the year, 31 December (in 2017 this meeting had to be rescheduled to April 15 due to the weather).
The St Marys racecourse is a grass track 1 of only two for harness race meetings in Tasmania.
The tight track can cater for only five horses on the front row but the action gives racegoers a feeling that they could almost touch the horses as they skim the outside fence when making their moves in the back stretch and home straight.
The feature race that locals vie for is the $10,000 Southern Cross St Marys Pacing Cup.Read more
At 600 metres above sea level, the township is surrounded by mountains, forests and valleys. It's also full of colour, creativity and stories of its former days as a convict working station.
There are some lovely old buildings along the main street including the original railway station, now a quirky museum of local relics and oddities.
The locals are friendly and there are some great cafes, quaint shops with local craft and a grand old pub in the heart of town. It's also close to some excellent nature walks at St Patrick's Head and South Sister Peak, with panoramic views of surrounding forest, coastline and the Tasman Sea.
Take a drive up through the Fingal Valley to the Evercreech Forest Reserve for spectacular trees, ferns and mountain streams, and the White Knights - the tallest white gums in existence.
Also nearby is Douglas-Apsley National Park, a place of surprising contrasts with deep river gorges and waterfalls, pockets of rainforest, colourful heathland and a dolerite-capped plateau.
St Marys is a 1 hr 40-min drive (128 km) east of Launceston.
New members are very welcome. All enquiries to our email here.
The St Marys Pacing Club (SMPC) is based at the town of St Marys on Tasmania’s east coast. The St Marys Racing Club first programmed a trotting race in 1889. In 1918 the St Marys Trotting Club staged its first meeting after taking over from the racing club.
The first St Marys Trotting Cup was held in 1926. The track is the only grass harness racing track in Tasmania with a circumference of 1306 metres. The SMPC conducts its annual meeting on New Year’s Day but when that date falls on a Sunday, the meeting is held on 31 December (occurs in 2016).