The Launceston Greyhound Racing Club (LGRC) earned a reputation as one of the state's most progressive clubs with its former home at White City at Invermay from 1932-2004 considered by many as one of the best venues in Australia.
A move to the tri-code complex at Mowbray in December 2004 was the start of a new era for the club and today it hosts the state heats and finals of the National Sprint and Distance Championships as well as boasting some of the best greyhound racing in Tasmania.
The Group 2 Launceston Cup is run in February and is run over two weeks comprising heats and semi-finals into a final that often boasts some of the best sprinting chasers in Australia.
Other feature races that attract star performers are the Illingworth Classic and the Tasmanian Derby and Oaks.
Liason Officer - Richard Stamford
Racing operations officer - Peter HayesRead more
The Launceston greyhound race track is just three kilometres from the heart of Launceston City in Jellico Street, Mowbray and is easily accessed by car, bus or taxi.
Ample parking is available at the track if driving, or public transport buses offer easy access from the Launceston City centre.
Please contact the Club if you are interested in becoming a Club Member on 0499 114 052 or by email here.
Please contact the club if you are interested in becoming a club sponsor on (03) 6326 1834 or by email here.
The Launceston Greyhound Racing Club history is built on a foundation of respect and love for greyhounds and greyhound racing, with racing first conducted in the early 1900's.
J.G."Jack"Nelson, a Launceston greyhound owner and SP icon from the era, was imstrumental in getting track racing off the ground in Tasmania, and in particular Launceston.
His Malunna kennels becoming the site for the historically well know White City race track. In 1932, at his own expense, he built a 440 yard straight track on the Malunna property, with electric lighting and a custom build grandstand for greyhound racing.
With assistance from Arthur Morgan other enthusiasts the White City Speed Coursing Track Pty. Ltd. was formed. Each member put in 10 pounds towards the costs of the initial meeting which saw seven races held on February 8 1933. Until Morgan had the Act changed to allow for legalized betting on Greyhounds the company's meetings struggled to survive.
This all changed on September 26 1935 when a public meeting saw 27 enthusiasts form the Launceston Greyhound Racing Club. This body officially leased the track from Jack Nelson and H.G."Mick" Sturges was appointed Secretary on a salary of 3 pounds a week. The LGRC's initial meeting was on October 19 1935 with W.Lovett's Blue Bonnett the first winner.
The Club did not become the owner of White City until the season of 1947-48. Jack Nelson had been dead two years,(he died August 19 1946) at the time the LGRC paid twelve thousand pounds to his estate for the purchase.
The LGRC established the J.G.Nelson Memorial race in his honour which ran from 1947 until 1974.
Jack Nelson was an owner and trainer of high repute and left his mark on track racing as he had done with open coursing. He won the feature MacRobertson Cup at Hobart's inaugural meeting on January 30 1935 with Golden City He run second and third in the 1943 Gold Collar with Some Lil and Carlsome. But he had far greater success yet. In 1942 Jack Nelson's My Kenya won the Hobart Cup despite the fact he was even greater chaser at White City.
Nelson must have been thrilled to win his home town Launceston Cup with the wonderful chaser Some Carlton in 1943, after it had run third in the Sprint Championship of Tasmania. But in 1946 he won the Launceston Cup again with the great Losma Lady. In that same year she ran fourth in the Hobart Thousand Final after winning both her heat and semi final.
Extract from Tasmanian Greyhound Hall of Fame by Greg Fahey.