The Hobart Greyhound Racing Club (HGRC) is located at Elwick Park, a tri-code racing facility in Glenorchy, approximately 10 kilometres north of Hobart, Tasmania’s capital city.
Racing is conducted most Thursday nights during the year with facilities that are comparable with any leading racing complex in Australia.
The HGRC is very proud to be home of the Hobart Thousand. The Hobart Thousand is the only Group One race on the Tasmanian racing calendar across all three codes.
The time honoured, prestigious event was first run in 1939 and is still a major race on the National racing calendar, consistently attracting the best greyhounds from around the country, along with big crowds, ‘The Thousand’ holds a special place in the hearts and history of the national greyhound racing community and is the longest running Classic event on the Australian greyhound racing calendar.
Prices vary on our premium race days eg Hobart Thousand. For further information see individual club event details.
The Hobart Greyhound Racing Club was formed under the guidance of Mr M A Morgan, widely regarded as one of the founding fathers of greyhound racing in Tasmania, and one of the greatest administrators the sport has seen.
Morgan in his great desire to establish Hobart as the leading track in Australia saw the Hobart Cup as a way to achieve this by advertising the race with an Australian record 500 pound prize.
In 1946 it became the Hobart Thousand and was run for a first prize of what Morgan had always wanted - 1000 pounds.
Pictured right Racing Minister and future Premier W.A. Bill Neilson presenting Tas Kingston with the 1959 Hobart Thousand trophy.